This recipe has been passed down through the generations. My great grandmother started baking this Pavlova back in 1935. Following the tradition my grandmother soon taught my mother 25 years ago. This good old Aussie favourite is usually baked for our family gatherings and is certainly a winner! It is now my job to take on the family tradition and make it for everyone to indulge. I love the crunchiness of the meringue and the richness of the cream and fruity filling.
Check out my demonstration of how to make pavlova on youtube on the link below!
- 6 large egg whites
- 375 grams castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons brown vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 2 x 300ml cream
- 2 cartons of strawberries- cut into halves
- 6-8 kiwi fruit- pealed and cut into slices
- 6-8 passion fruit
(You can use any fruit of your own choosing)
- Preheat the oven to 125 degrees C fan forced and grease a Pavlova tray with butter.
- Using an electric mixer beat egg whites on maximum until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat well until combined and mixture is stiff.
- Add vinegar and vanilla.
- Keep beating until the mixture is forming peaks.
- Fold in the corn flour.
- Pour onto the Pavlova tray. With room to expand, form a circle using a knife then make a well starting from the outside moving around towards the middle. Flick the outside edges of the mixture up so it makes a rough border.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 100 degrees C fan forced and back for another 15 minutes.
10. Turn the oven off and leave the meringue in the oven while keeping the door open. Rest until cool.
- Break off the top lid of the Pavlova, collecting pieces of meringue. (try to break off large/decent size pieces- leave aside).
- Beat 1 carton of cream and spoon it on top, covering the base.
- Place half of the strawberries forming the first layer, placing each one around in a circle towards the middle, covering the entire bottom base.
- Place half the kiwi fruit on top of the strawberries.
- Spoon half the passion fruit on top of the fruit.
- (Repeat steps 2-5)
- Place the meringue pieces on top of the filling, forming a roof- try to identify pieces that create and look like a lid.
- Serve with ice cream and enjoy.