It’s always nice when someone enjoys your cooking. Eight months ago I made this slice for the first time and my mothers friend went crazy about it. I promised to make him another batch for Christmas but it came and went so as an Easter present I put little fluffy chickens on top and surprised him with it. This slice is extremely rich as you can see from the ingredients but it’s very very very yummy!
Happy Easter Gil ! 🙂
Check out my demonstration of how to make caramel slice on youtube on the link below!
Recipe from Kylie out of the Masterchef magazine
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- 100g macadamias, roasted, finely chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons salt flakes, plus extra for decorating
- 250g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 50g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 19cm x 30cm slice/lamington tin.
- Base: In a large bowl combine flours, nuts and sugar. Using your hands, rub the mixture together, making sure you break up any lumps of sugar.
- On medium heat, place butter in a small saucepan. Once melted stir into flour mixture and combine well. Pour mixture into tin, pressing firmly and evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Caramel filling: In a saucepan place golden syrup and brown sugar stirring over medium heat until combined. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for one minute until caramelised. Immediately add butter, salt and condensed milk, still continuously for 5 minutes until thickened. Note: (Do not allow it to boil, as the mixture will become grainy). Pour the caramel over the base and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Chocolate topping: Place chocolate, butter and water in a saucepan or in the microwave and then stir until melted and smooth. Spread mixture over slice and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. For decoration scatter with sea salt flakes. Cut into approximately 20 slices and serve.
Have a lovely Easter everyone and remember you have an excuse to eat plenty of chocolate!