Our family always focuses on healthy eating. Despite my baking adventures, we all agree that the key to a balanced lifestyle is through everything in moderation. Over the past year I have learnt to have that treat once in a while because frankly “Food is Family, Family is Life, Life is Everything”- George Calombaris
This recipe is great to enjoy after having an indulgent week or when you want something light for dinner. We usually cook it when family and friends come over. It is unbelievably quick and easy! Serve it with couscous and a fresh salad and it is good to go. Just remember to allow yourself dessert as you can have that cake and eat it too!
Note: This recipe requires a whole side of salmon. I get the fishmonger to cut and debone a whole salmon leaving me with two whole fillet sides as well as the head and skeleton of the fish. I generally freeze one side wrapping it in cling wrap and labelling the fillet with the date. You can use the head and bones to make stock.
Recipe for Baked Salmon
(Serves approximately 5 people)
Time- 45- 1 hour.
- 1 whole side of salmon (1- ½ kilo)
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- 1 spanish onion, sliced in quarters
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 220 °C. Place fillet of salmon onto a large piece of foil in a baking dish.
- Coat fish in a thin layer of oil. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary on top of salmon. Arrange slices of lemon, lime and onion on top and around fillet. Drizzle with olive oil and fold foil around the sides of the salmon.
- Place on middle shelf of oven. Once cooked for 10 minutes turn temperature down to 180 °C.
- Cook for another 20 minutes then turn down oven to 160 °C.
- Pour water onto the foil and around the fish and cook for another 15-30 minutes or until tender.