With Christmas parties and all the celebrations you are feeling tired and bloated. Why not enjoy something light over a nice hot drink? Try my slightly ‘healthier’ digestive biscuits. They are plain, satisfying and perfect for those days when you want a treat that’s not too sweet.
- 50g bran flakes
- 50g traditional rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. psyllium husk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large tray with baking paper.
- In a mix master/kitchen wiz, blitz bran flakes to a breadcrumb consistency. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Blitz oats to a fine powder and add to the bowl containing the bran flakes.
- Add the psyllium husk, sugar, wholemeal flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the vanilla and butter and mix until the mixture is crumbly.
- Pour in the milk and combine to form a soft dough.
- Wrap in cling wrap and allow to firm in the fridge for approximately 20 minutes.
- Flour a clean surface and a rolling pin. Roll the dough out to the thickness of a regular biscuit, around 2.5-3mm thick. (Make sure to consistently flour your rolling pin, as the mixture will be very crumbly).
- Cut out circles using a cookie cutter, floured to each cut out. Transfer biscuits onto tray.
- Decorate with a pattern of your choice or press a fork in the centre of each biscuit.
- Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow biscuits to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.