Lately we have been concentrating on eating fresh food and keeping leftovers at a minimum. Baked custards are a great way to use up the continuous supply of cream in the fridge. Using organic eggs and fresh nutmeg makes a huge difference. Mum thinks the shelves are rattling in the fridge!
- 1 3/4 cups organic milk
- 1/2 cup pouring cream
- 1 vanilla bean or 1/2 tsp vanilla essence/ 1/4 vanilla bean paste
- 3 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1. Preheat fan forced oven to 160°C and place 6 large ramekins in a deep baking tray.
- 2. In a saucepan bring the milk, cream and vanilla to a simmer (Do not allow milk to boil). Take off heat straight away and leave to cool slightly.
- 3. In a bowl whisk the eggs, castor sugar and salt together until the sugar dissolves.
- 4. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the warm milk, stirring constantly.
- 5. Strain the mixture and pour into prepared ramekins. Fill the tray with boiling water until it reaches two thirds up the sides of the ramekins. (This will act as a water bath and will create steam).
- 6. Bake for 30 minutes. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool before storing in the refrigerator.