I am in love with this cake! Ever since Italy On My Mind shared this amazing recipe, I have been eager to give it a go. The layers of apple slices makes this genuine Sicilian cake so so delicious!
I slightly adjusted the recipe according to what I had in my kitchen.
- 100g walnuts, toasted
- 120g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 medium sized pink lady apples (or granny smith), peeled, cored and roughly sliced
- Zest from 1 lemon plus 1/2 juice from lemon
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs (preferably free-range organic)
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup currents (or sultanas) (soaked in brandy)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 1. Preheat oven to 175°C fan forced. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- 2. Pour a tbsp. of melted butter onto the base and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle base with a hand full of walnuts, roughly crushed.
- 3. In a bowl toss the apple in the zest and juice from the lemon.
- 4. In a separate bowl mix the eggs and the sugar together. Sift in the flour and baking flour and then add the milk and the butter. Mix until well combined. Drain the currents/ sultanas.
- 5. Pour 1/3 of the batter onto the base of the tin and spread out evenly. Arrange 1/3 of the apple slices on top. Sprinkle 1/3 of the currents/ sultanas and walnuts over apple. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used up.
- 6. Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon on top of the cake. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden and the cake is firm to touch.
- 7. Allow cake to cool completely before turning out. Dust with icing sugar.
- 8. Serve with cream or ice cream and enjoy!
- The cake will only last a few days stored in an airtight container.