Most of us eat California Walnuts. However did you know that you can purchase Organic Australian Walnuts from Wellwood Wallace? They are a taste sensation! Once you have tried them you will eat no other. These delicious kernels are chock full of Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants that boost heart health and also reduce the risk of diabetes, breast cancer and stress! They are perfect on their own or tossed through a salad. You can even use them to make my Date and Walnut Cake!
So tell me reader, why aren’t we buying Australian Walnuts?
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. bi-carb soda
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup walnuts (preferably Australian)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 160°C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- 2. In a saucepan heat together the sugar, dates, water, butter and bi-carb together. Once mixture reaches boiling point, remove from heat. (The mixture should become slightly foamy from the bi-carb)
- 3. In a large bowl combine the flour, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together. Mix well.
- 4. Using a large spoon or a spatula, slowly add the mixture in the saucepan into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- 5. Transfer mixture into loaf tin and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- 6. Cool in tin and once cooled dust the top with icing sugar.
- 7. Enjoy a slice with a cup of tea or coffee!